This Thursday, August 10, 2017 there will be a special Solemn High Requiem Mass for Mr. John Richardson Sr. The Mass will begin at 7pm.
Part-time Director of Sacred Music
St. Mary Catholic Church
St. Mary’s Parish is a small (180 household) but active parish that has enjoyed the use of both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. The parish is under the direction of the Fathers and Brothers of the Kalamazoo Oratory of St. Philip Neri, Community in Formation. Over the past several years the parish has built a strong music program and wishes to continue this work under the principle of “restoration of the sacred through beauty.” They attain this through the use of the Ignatius Pew Missal and the Adoremus hymnal. The parish is seeking someone to work closely with the priests and brothers of the Kalamazoo Oratory in order to develop the music program reflecting the nature of the liturgy of the Church as a sung prayer. The individual will also be responsible (in collaboration with the priests and brothers) for helping to establish and develop a library of sacred music for the parish. While this position will begin as part time, the right candidate will help expand this position into a full time ministry.
Some of the expected time commitments are as follows (estimated to be 10-15 hours weekly):
- weekend Masses
- Saturday vigil – 4:15pm – Ordinary Form
- Sunday morning – 9:00am – Ordinary Form
- Sunday afternoon – 12:00pm – Extraordinary Form
- weekly rehearsal with a mixed voice choir which sings at the Ordinary Form Masses
- three weekly rehearsals per month with the men’s schola which sings at the Extraordinary Form Mass
- one weekly rehearsal per month with the girl’s schola which sings at the Extraordinary Form Mass
- various celebrations of feast days, processions, Sunday vespers, and Forty Hours throughout the year
In addition, it is preferred that the candidate possess the following:
- competency in singing and teaching Gregorian Chant and sacred polyphony
- competency in choral directing
- competency in working with instrumentalists for special masses and celebrations
- a working knowledge of the maintenance necessary for the upkeep of the church’s organ
- adequate planning and organizational skills
Those interested in the position should send a resume including salary history to the following address:Very Rev. James Richardson, Pastor
St. Mary’s Catholic Church
939 Charlotte Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49048
Any questions can be directed to: (269)342-0621 or email Fr. Richardson.
Update: The Library is Re-Opened!
Please come to visit the St. Mary Library, or, what used to be known as the old milk room. Come and spend some time in a quiet place, conducive for serious research as well as thoughtful reading. Or, books may be checked out to be savored at home. Many new titles are available. A selection of children’s literature is also available, appealing to a wide range of ages and interests.
An updated “wish-list” of materials and books that would be assets to our collection is available here.
A second list will soon be “registered” at Newman’s Book Shop.
On June 12, following the 11am Extraordinary Form Mass (a Low Mass) there will be a “bring your own picnic basket” lunch with a reflection on the year of Mercy. Following the lunch there will be a procession (walk or drive) to St. Augustine Cathedral. Please listen for more details.
Our apologies, but due to technical problems, last Sunday’s sermon did not record.
UPDATE: Father rerecorded the sermon which can be found here.
The sermon was not recorded today.
Our apologies, but due to technical issues, today’s sermon did not record.